Create a custom cake by assembling your dog’s favorite ingredients, such as peanut butter, bananas, apples, pecans, walnuts, unsweetened shredded coconut, carrots, bacon, chicken, fish, eggs, or cheese – or add whatever your dog most enjoys to any of the following!
To make a fast, no-bake cake for dogs:
- Mix 1 cup of dry dog food with
- 1/4 cup unsweetened (xylitol-free) peanut butter and
- 1 or 2 mashed ripe bananas.
For a larger cake, double or triple these ingredients. Shape the mixture as a ball or flat square or circle.
To bake a custom dog-friendly cake:
- Mix 1 cup all-purpose, almond, or gluten-free flour with
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and set aside.
In a mixing bowl combine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup pureed apple (unsweetened applesauce is fine)
- 1/2 cup plain canned pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened peanut butter or almond butter, and
- 2 tablespoons chopped cooked bacon.
Add the flour mixture, mix or beat well, pour into a greased 8-inch round or square pan, and bake at 350ºF for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cool on a wire rack and remove from baking pan.
To decorate your cake, place it on a serving plate.
Mix 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt and 4 tablespoons room-temperature cream cheese (double the recipe as needed).
Apply the frosting with a spatula or drizzle it over the cake. You can also press bone-shaped dog biscuits or dog treats on the top; sprinkle colorful berries, chopped nuts (like walnuts or pecans), or bacon bits all over the top; and/or arrange small carrots like candles onto the frosted cake. Slice and serve.
For a festive meatloaf cake recipe for dogs:
- Mix 2 cups (1 pound) low-fat ground beef, chicken, turkey, or other meat with
- 1 egg and
- 1/2 cup chopped or grated cheese.
Shape and serve raw or bake in a loaf pan at 350ºF for 40 minutes, then cool and remove from pan.
Leftovers of all cakes should be covered and refrigerated for serving later.