Many flowers and house plants are toxic for dogs. Calla lilies, jade plants, poinsettia, and mistletoe are just a few. Most toxic plants cause vomiting, diarrhea, and/or lethargy, but some can even be fatal when eaten in large quantities. During the holidays, the number of potential hazards for your dog are especially high.
If your dog is respectful of tables and counters, you can likely keep potentially toxic flowers and plants safely out of reach. Be sure that the arrangement is placed so that dead leaves will not land on the floor, as some dogs may try to eat these poisonous dropped leaves.
For dogs and puppies who like to explore the world with their mouths, more caution is warranted. A rambunctious teenage Labrador can easily bump a table and knock over a vase of tulips, and an avid counter surfer might grab for the carnations you thought were safe next to the sink.
What Flowers are Safe for Dogs?
Thankfully, many beautiful flowers are not toxic to dogs. If purchasing an arrangement for yourself or a fellow dog lover, consider blooms from this list:
- African violet
- Baby’s breath
- Brazilian orchid
- Christmas cactus
- Hens and chicks
Toxic Plant Resources
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has an extensive list of both toxic and non-toxic plants for dogs. This is a great resource when adding houseplants or doing landscaping in your yard.
If you suspect your dog has eaten something poisonous, call your veterinarian immediately. You may be instructed to give activated charcoal, but don’t unless you are instructed to do so.
If your dog has eaten a known poisonous plant or a plant that you aren’t familiar with, call a pet poison hotline to get the most up-to-date toxicity information. These services do charge a fee, but it is well worth it to get peace of mind or to have toxin experts guiding your veterinarian in making treatment decisions.
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center 888-426-4435
Pet Poison Helpline 855-764-7661